CRFL appeals ban for default notice
The Canterbury Rugby Football League is lodging an appeal against the banning of its representative team from the South Island championship with the body that gave it the boot.
CRFL general manager Craig Kerr yesterday attempted to appeal directly to the New Zealand Rugby League but was told “constitutionally, the appeal has to be lodged with the southern zone".
NZRL southern zone general manager Steve Martin announced on Thursday that competition leaders Canterbury had been kicked out because they had notified they would be defaulting tomorrow's scheduled game against Southland in Invercargill.
Kerr said Canterbury had reluctantly defaulted because of a rash of injuries, player callups to the South Island Scorpions, work and family commitments and religious beliefs precluding three players from playing Sunday matches.
The competition rules had no provision for teams to be banned for a notified default, he said.
But Martin has countered that the rules allow organisers to act to maintain the integrity of the competition.
Kerr hopes the CRFL appeal will be heard as soon as possible with the South Island final set down for next weekend.
Southland, Otago and Tasman are all in contention for places in the final if Canterbury's appeal does not succeed.
Meanwhile, Reon Edwards has replaced Ian Jenkins as CRFL chairman.
- The Press
Is the Canterbury team 'mentally soft'?Related story: North Harbour stun hapless Canterbury team