Vettori out of T20 retirement for World Cup

Frugal spinner out of retirement

Last updated 12:45 20/06/2012
Daniel Vettori
MARION VAN DIJK/Nelson Mail
EARLY START: Brendon McCullum, Neil Wagner, Chris Martin, Daniel Vettori and Kruger van Wyk are all being asked to head to the West Indies early to bolster their ODI options.

Related Links

Neil Wagner left out of contracted Black Caps Windies tour a batting war of equals - Wright Vettori open to unlikely T20 World Cup return Daniel Vettori reassesses his career goals Experience crucial for test cricket says Vettori

Relevant offers

Cricket

Matt Henry strikes as Black Caps clinch series Australia stumble to victory against India in second test Cook out as England ODI captain, Morgan in - reports Former NZ allrounder Dipak Patel's ambitions take a new turn Actors sought for Cricket World Cup opener Abbott pivotal in Sydney Sixers' Big Bash win Millmow: Big Bash League does T20 in style Central Districts rack up the runs against Auckland Steve Smith leads by example for Australia against India Northern Districts bowlers skittle Wellington batsman

Daniel Vettori has come out of Twenty20 retirement, making himself available for the Black Caps' World Cup campaign.

Vettori, 33, retired from the format last year, but will waltz back into the side now he's available for the tournament in Sri Lanka spanning September and October.

The former Twenty20 world No 1 ranked bowler has played 28 T20 internationals for New Zealand and 67 domestic games encompassing the Indian Premier League, Australia's Big Bash and New Zealand Cricket's (NZC) own HRV Cup.

With a bowling average of 22.46 and an economy rate of just over six runs per over, having Vettori on board is a massive coup for the New Zealand side.

"His availability is a real boost for the Black Caps with his style of bowling well suited to conditions in Sri Lanka," New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White said.

National Selection Manager Kim Littlejohn said Vettori's decision to re-start his T20 career was about wanting to play in another World Cup.

"Twenty20 is a format Dan enjoys and the opportunity to be part of a team which competes at a world event is enticing for him," Littlejohn said.

Since Vettori told The Press he was available should NZC approach him, his return appeared inevitable, but is still good news for a New Zealand side ranked fourth in T20 cricket.

"He has been encouraged by his team-mates, coaching staff and others at NZC,'' Littlejohn said.

"And we are thrilled to have him in the mix. He will offer a lot to the side."

The preliminary squad for the ICC World Twenty20 will be announced on July 18.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content