Vettori back for Black Caps' World Cup
Vettori comes out of Twenty20 retirementMATT RICHENS
Daniel Vettori has come out of Twenty20 retirement, making himself available for the Black Caps' T20 World Cup campaign.
Vettori, 33, retired from the format last year but will waltz back into the side now that he is available for the tournament in September and October.
The former T20 No 1-ranked bowler has played 28 T20 internationals for New Zealand and 67 domestic games, including in the Indian Premier League, Australia's Big Bash and New Zealand Cricket's (NZC) HRV Cup.
With a bowling average of 22.46 and an economy rate of just over six runs an over, having Vettori on board is a coup for the New Zealand side.
''His availability is a real boost for the Black Caps, with his style of bowling well suited to conditions in Sri Lanka,'' New Zealand Cricket boss David White said.
National selection manager Kim Littlejohn said Vettori's decision to restart his T20 career was about wanting to play in another World Cup.
''Twenty20 is a format Dan enjoys, and the opportunity to be part of a team which competes at a world event is enticing for him,'' Littlejohn said.
Since Vettori told The Press he was available should NZC approach him, his return has been inevitable but is still good news for a New Zealand side ranked fourth in T20 cricket.
''He has been encouraged by his team-mates, coaching staff and others at NZC,'' Littlejohn said.
''And we are thrilled to have him in the mix. He will offer a lot to the side.''
The preliminary squad for the ICC World Twenty20 will be announced July 18.
NZC's contracted players announced
NZC has announced its 20 contracted players for the 12 months from August 1.
Notable exceptions are quick bowling trio Mark Gillespie, Hamish Bennett and Neil Wagner, while Doug Bracewell, Dean Brownlie, Andrew Ellis, Tarun Nethula and Kruger van Wyk pick up their first national contracts.
Talented 20-year-old Tom Latham has narrowly missed out despite heading to the West Indies with the Twenty20 and ODI sides this weekend, with NZC seeming to prefer van Wyk, who is likely to feature as a backup test option.
James Franklin has regained a contract after missing out last year.
South African-born Wagner was considered by many a certainty after becoming eligible in April.
He is likely to feature in the next 12 months, but because he has played no international cricket, NZC has opted not to back hm.
Bennett had a contract last year but is not alone in missing out having been on NZC's books last season.
Neil Broom, Jesse Ryder, Reece Young and Luke Woodcock also miss out.
Players on the NZC list are ranked one to 20 and paid annual retainers accordingly. The highest-ranked earns $181,000, plus match payments, while No 20 gets $73,000. The rankings remain confidential.
NZC's contracted players for 2012-13: Trent Boult - Northern Knights, Doug Bracewell - Central Stags, Dean Brownlie - Canterbury Wizards, Andrew Ellis - Canterbury Wizards, Daniel Flynn - Northern Knights, James Franklin - Wellington Firebirds, Martin Guptill - Auckland Aces, Chris Martin - Auckland Aces, Brendon McCullum - Otago Volts, Nathan McCullum - Otago Volts, Kyle Mills - Auckland Aces, Tarun Nethula - Central Stags, Rob Nicol - Canterbury Wizards, Jacob Oram - Central Stags, Tim Southee - Northern Knights, Ross Taylor - Central Stags, Kruger van Wyk - Central Stags, Daniel Vettori - Northern Knights, BJ Watling - Northern Knights, Kane Williamson - Northern Knights.
- © Fairfax NZ News