Van Gisbergen will return to V8 Supercars

Last updated 21:28 23/01/2013
Shane van Gisbergen
Photosport
FINAL LAP: Shane van Gisbergen in his final race in the V8 Supercars.

Relevant offers

Motorsport

David Coulthard: Sebastian Vettel's champion drive had echoes of Michael Schumacher Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel upsets Mercedes to win Malaysian Grand Prix Max Verstappen sets record as youngest Formula One points-winner Scott Dixon finishes 15th in IndyCar Grand Prix of St Petersburg Lewis Hamilton holds off Sebastian Vettel for pole position in Malaysia Grand Prix Jamie Whincup takes over V8 Championship lead with with final race win in Tasmania Sparks fly in Tasmania as Craig Lowndes goes two-from-two in V8 Supercars Ambrose will be back in V8s: Lowndes Fernando Alonso raring to go at Malaysian GP after clearing crash confusion Williams appoint Adrian Sutil as reserve driver for rest of Formula One season

New Zealand V8 Supercar star Shane Van Gisbergen has ended speculation and tonight confirmed he will return to the sport in 2013.

The Kiwi young gun's future is clearer after  linking with Jonathan Webb's Gold Coast-based Holden team Tekno  Autosports - eight weeks after he walked away from the sport due to  personal reasons.

''Towards the end of last year, I started to lose motivation,''  van Gisbergen said.

''The environment wasn't right and I was struggling to remember  why I was racing.''It wasn't a great mindset to be in, so I made the decision to  take a break.

''I spent six weeks back home and was able to recharge my  batteries.

''I had a good hard think about my career and considered my  options.

''As part of that, I decided that if I was going to return, I  needed a fresh challenge in a new environment, and this is exactly  the opportunity I was looking for.''

Van Gisbergen had emerged as the category's rising star in four  years with Ford powerhouse Stone Brothers Racing - which has  switched to newcomer Mercedes this season - before making his  surprise call.

''I was never retired. Retirement is final and that was never my  consideration,'' he said.

''I said I was leaving the sport for a bit. I've considered my  options and this is the next chapter in my career.''

He will line up with his new team at the official pre-season  test in Sydney on February 16.

But a question mark still might hover over Casey Stoner's V8 Supercars move

Two-time MotoGP world champion has kept V8 fans guessing  by denying he had signed on to make his much-anticipated debut in  the second-tier development series at the season-opening Adelaide  500 from February 28.

Stoner was expected to race a Red Bull Holden Commodore backed  by Triple Eight Racing, previously driven by four-time Supercars  champion Jamie Whincup, after being seen driving in their recent  test sessions.

However, Stoner tweeted that he had not yet made up his mind  after it emerged his quotes in a recent report confirming his V8  move had been traced back to articles printed in 2012.But it might be just a matter of time before Stoner signs on the  dotted line, judging by his Twitter tease.

''Don't believe everything you read,'' Stoner tweeted.

''Haven't decided what I'm doing yet, of corse (sic) V8 Supercars  is on the cards.

Ad Feedback

''Will let you know when I do!''

Meanwhile, V8 Supercars have confirmed the 2013 round at Yas  Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi had been scrapped after not receiving  the green light from Formula One authorities.

However, the V8s had been the support category for the F1 Grand Prix at  the glamour circuit last year but Formula One Management opted not  to give the Supercars the nod in 2013.

- AAP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content