Felipe Massa to have first drive in new Ferrari

ALAN BALDWIN
Last updated 11:55 25/01/2013

Relevant offers

Motorsport

New Zealand's Scott Dixon brilliantly wins IndyCar series with last round triumph Italian great Valentino Rossi wins wet British Grand Prix to retake title lead MotoGP champion Marc Marquez takes British Grand Prix pole in record time IndyCar is clearly too risky; time to shut it down Late IndyCar driver Justin Wilson saved six lives by donating organs, his brother says Cancer survivor wins gruelling motorcycle event Josiah Natzke in two-man battle for European motocross crown Formula One community mourns Justin Wilson's death IndyCar driver Justin Wilson's death a brutal reminder about the dangers of motorsport IndyCar driver Justin Wilson's death prompts calls for review of safety measures

Brazilian Felipe Massa will be the first to drive Ferrari's 2013 Formula One car with last year's championship runner-up Fernando Alonso having to wait until February 19, the Italian team said today.

Ferrari said on their website (www.ferrari.com) that Massa, whose place at the team was uncertain for much of last year before he secured a one-year extension, would be in the car at the first pre-season test in Jerez from February 5-7.

Spanish development driver Pedro De la Rosa, who raced for the now-departed HRT team last year and will carry out much of the simulator work this year, will take over for his Ferrari debut on the remaining day.

Alonso, Spain's double world champion who took the title battle down to the wire last year before losing out to Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel, will have his turn in Barcelona at the second of three pre-season tests.

He will test for three of the four days with Massa having the final one. They will then alternate in the final test in Barcelona from February 28 to March 3.

The new Ferrari is due to be unveiled at the team's Maranello factory on February 1.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content