Navy searches for capsize canoe victims

Last updated 11:05 02/09/2012
Reuters

A wooden ferry capsizes off the coast of Guinea, killing at least eight and leaving dozens missing. Andrew Raven reports.

Relevant offers

World

US warns failure to act on North Korea could be 'catastrophic' Australian woman shot on Anzac Day sacrificed her life to save kids, sister says US President Donald Trump tells NRA: 'You have a true friend' in White House Woman hid in dog kennel after partner bashed her, then died from her injuries Furore over Holocaust comments hits Marine Le Pen's French election bid New Zealander arrested in Indonesian hotel room with drugs allegedly hidden in iPad case Self-described psychic jailed for scamming clients over 'dark forces' 'Send help': Luxury Bahamas music festival postponed after descending into chaos Swipe right: World's last male northern white rhino takes a chance on Tinder Donald Trump names anti-abortion leader to high post at health department

The Guinean navy is scouring the coast off of Guinea’s capital, Conakry, looking for about 36 missing people after their overloaded canoe capsized in inclement weather. 

On Friday (local time), officials retrieved eight bodies, including six women and two children.

A forensic doctor at the municipal morgue let an Associated Press reporter see the corpses, and pointed out that several had traces of blood coming out of their nose — a sign, he said, that their lungs had burst. 

Raphael Bangoura, commander of the port of Bolbinet, where the incident happened, said Saturday (local time) that about 65 people were aboard the canoe, and that 21 had been saved. 

Counting the eight dead, he said that that means roughly 36 people could still be in the water.

Ad Feedback

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content