Man indicted in New York bomb plot

JESSICA DYE
Last updated 10:01 16/11/2012
Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis
Reuters
FACING LIFE IN JAIL: Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, 21, has been indicted on terror charges.

Relevant offers

World

Super typhoon snapped by astronauts heading to Philippines Turkey police shoot attackers at Istanbul HQ; government vows to find 'dark forces' UK deputy PM Nick Clegg set to lose seat in election - poll At least one killed in fire on Gulf of Mexico oil platform, 300 evacuated Thailand's ruling junta lifts martial law; retains power US Arkansas Governor won't sign religion bill following outcry World news while you were sleeping Israel PM Benjamin Netanyahu rails against Iran nuclear agreement South Korea sets compensation in ferry sinking as anniversary looms Chile desert floods death toll hits 23

A Bangladeshi man has been indicted on charges of attempting to blow up the New York Federal Reserve Bank last month with what he believed was a 453kg (1000-pound) bomb, court papers show.

The grand jury indictment charges Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, 21, with one count of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and one count of attempting to provide material support to a US-designated foreign terrorist organisation, al Qaeda. He faces life in prison if convicted.

Nafis was arrested on October 17, after pulling up to the Federal Reserve and attempting to detonate what he believed to be a van packed with explosives.

In fact, the explosives had been provided to Nafis by an undercover agent as part of a sting operation, and were never in working condition, federal authorities said.

A criminal complaint unsealed last month against Nafis said he travelled to the United States in 2012, and eventually moved to Queens, New York.

There, he scouted out targets for a potential attack - including the New York Stock Exchange and a high-ranking government official identified as US President Barack Obama - settling eventually on the Federal Reserve Bank in Manhattan.

Nafis attempted to recruit others to his plan, claiming he was in contact with al Qaeda operatives, the complaint said.

One of the individuals he brought on board was an undercover agent working for the FBI, who monitored Nafis' activities and helped arm him with the inoperable explosives, federal authorities said.

No date has been set for Nafis' arraignment, and he remains in custody, a spokesman for the US attorney's office in Brooklyn said. A lawyer representing Nafis declined to comment.

The case is US vs Nafis, in the US District Court for the Eastern District of New York, no. 12-965.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content