Terrorist plotting accused seeks bail

Last updated 17:09 06/12/2012

Relevant offers

World

Bali Nine pair lodge handwritten appeals Islamic State claims video shows Kenji Goto's beheading US on edge as measles outbreak spreads New York City to pay $5m in 'Mafia Cops' case Child pornography uncovered in Vatican last year Italian PM wins duel with Berlusconi over new president 'Like the last judgment' in Donetsk Third time lucky for NASA rocket launch to track climate change This formidable turkey is the keeper of the cars Leadership challenge warning for Australian PM Tony Abbott

A Melbourne man accused of collecting al-Qaeda magazines that give bomb-making tips and describe how to engage in violent jihad will ask Victoria’s highest court to grant him bail.

Adnan Karabegovic, 23, is charged with four counts of collecting  documents connected with the preparation of a terrorist act following the discovery of the magazines at his southeast Melbourne home during police raids in September.

His lawyer Matthew Goldberg told Melbourne Magistrates Court today that Karabegovic would be seeking bail in the Victorian Supreme Court on Tuesday.

Karabegovic applied for bail in September, but was refused by a magistrate after the court heard he considered Australians to be ‘‘dirty convict pigs’’ and ‘‘filthy kafir’’ and was committed to a course of action that conflicted with the community.

He spoke of a wish to train in Bosnia and had a piece of paper with the names of bomb-making chemicals secreted in the back of a picture frame at his home, it was alleged.

Goldberg was granted leave to cross-examine seven witnesses at Karabegovic’s three-day contested committal hearing next year,  including three interpreters.

‘‘The question would be the nature of the translations of the Arabic, where relevant, and the Bosnian, where relevant,’’ Goldberg told magistrate Gerard Lethbridge.

‘‘The argument on the accused’s behalf is that there is a series of analyses that are contested and will be examined at the committal.’’

Karabegovic, who has shaved off a heavy beard since he was last in court, appeared via videolink from the Melbourne Remand Centre and was remanded to reappear for a committal hearing on April 8.

Ad Feedback

- AAP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content