A Timaru benefit fraudster managed to work for 12 different employers while being overpaid more than $23,000.
Wayne James Sandri, 39, a labourer, pleaded guilty in Timaru District Court yesterday to dishonestly using a document and wilful omission.
The court was told that on April 23, 2010, Sandri was given the unemployment benefit and an accommodation benefit. He agreed to notify the Ministry of Social Development if his circumstances changed.
On October 6, 2011, he applied for additional support payments. As a result of information-matching with Inland Revenue, it was established he had in fact been working for 12 different employers.
He was interviewed on January 21 this year and admitted he had not advised he had been working as he had financial issues at the time.
Overall he was overpaid $23,351. Judge Joanna Maze remanded Sandri at large to July 3 for sentencing.
- The Timaru Herald
• Email or call (03) 687 1383
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Book an ad: Email or call (03) 687-1337
• Place a classfied ad: Email
or call (03) 687-1395
• Subscribe: Email
or call (03) 687 1392 or 0800 100 129
• No paper click here
• Stop or start your paper click here
• Buy a photo
• View or sign up for the Digital Edition
• Discover how to use Newspapers in Education
• Make timaruherald.co.nz your homepage