A man whose truck collided with a train in Ashburton has died.
Police say the man, who was driving a truck owned by WaterForce Ashburton, was attempting to negotiate a give-way controlled railway crossing when the crash occurred on Monday.
The man was taken to hospital in a critical condition but died today.
Witnesses told police that the truck was crossing the line and the train sounded its warning device on more than one occasion immediately before the collision.
Would you rather have LED lights or power lines go underground?
• Email or call (03) 687 1383
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Book an ad: Email or call (03) 687-1337
• Place a classfied ad: Email
or call (03) 687-1395
• Subscribe: Email
or call (03) 687 1392 or 0800 100 129
• No paper click here
• Stop or start your paper click here
• Buy a photo
• View or sign up for the Digital Edition
• Discover how to use Newspapers in Education
• Make timaruherald.co.nz your homepage