Snow is forecast to fall on South Island passes tonight and tomorrow.
The MetService has issued warnings for the Arthurs, Porters, Lindis and Lewis passes, and for Milford Rd, where snow has already started falling this morning.
Up to 12 centimetres of snow could accumlate near the summit of Arthurs Pass between 9pm tonight and 10am tomorrow.
Meanwhile, on the Lewis Pass, light rain is expected to turn to snow above 700 metres tomorrow afternoon, and then clear on tomorrow night. Between 1 to 3cm was expected to accumulate above 700 metres about and east of the road summit.
Snow is expected to settle on Porters Pass from 8pm until 6am tomorrow. Between 8 and 12cm could accumulate, but with possibly up to 15cm near the summit.
From midday until 8pm tonight, 3 to 5cm could accumulate above 500 metres on the Lindis Pass.
Snow falling on Milford Rd above 800 metres is expected to ease late this morning, with some light flurries to 500 metres south of Lake Gunn until evening.
- The Press
• Email or call (03) 687 1383
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Book an ad: Email or call (03) 687-1337
• Place a classfied ad: Email
or call (03) 687-1395
• Subscribe: Email
or call (03) 687 1392 or 0800 100 129
• No paper click here
• Stop or start your paper click here
• Buy a photo
• View or sign up for the Digital Edition
• Discover how to use Newspapers in Education
• Make timaruherald.co.nz your homepage