Oamaru's Daniel Ethan Smith has been found not guilty of the murder of teenager William Lewis in Oamaru on April 1, 2010.
The retrial verdict - not guilty of murder but guilty of manslaughter - was delivered today in the High Court at Timaru.
Smith, 20, was remanded in custody for sentencing on August 29.
Lewis, 16, was fatally stabbed three times in the back after an altercation in Exe St about 9.45pm. Smith, who was also 16 at the time, claimed self-defence.
The jury retired at 3pm yesterday and were released for the night at 5.30pm. They returned with their verdict at 12.35pm today.
Tears errupted from members of Lewis's family who were present for the verdict.
The retrial was heard in front of Justice Dunningham and a jury of six men and six women.
Both the Crown and the defence counsel refused to make a comment at the conclusion of the six-day trial.
- The Timaru Herald
• Email or call (03) 687 1383
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Book an ad: Email or call (03) 687-1337
• Place a classfied ad: Email
or call (03) 687-1395
• Subscribe: Email
or call (03) 687 1392 or 0800 100 129
• No paper click here
• Stop or start your paper click here
• Buy a photo
• View or sign up for the Digital Edition
• Discover how to use Newspapers in Education
• Make timaruherald.co.nz your homepage