A 38-year-old South Canterbury man was sentenced to community service for sending and receiving sexual texts from an underage girl.
He was sentenced to 160 hours of community service, six months supervision and ordered to pay $2000 in reparation on a charge of possession of objectionable material when he appeared in the Timaru District Court yesterday.
Judge Joanna Maze told the court the man had encouraged his victim to send images of an intimate nature to his phone.
The man met the victim through a sports club and gained her trust.
The judge granted the man name suppression to protect his victim and the sports club.
Judge Maze said the man's early guilty plea and the fact he had been very co-operative with police was taken into consideration.
He has also written his victim and her family a letter stating his remorse.
"An aggravating factor is the breach of trust in respect to the girl and her age. You gained her trust and exploited that trust."
- The Timaru Herald
• Email or call (03) 687 1383
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Book an ad: Email or call (03) 687-1337
• Place a classfied ad: Email
or call (03) 687-1395
• Subscribe: Email
or call (03) 687 1392 or 0800 100 129
• No paper click here
• Stop or start your paper click here
• Buy a photo
• View or sign up for the Digital Edition
• Discover how to use Newspapers in Education
• Make timaruherald.co.nz your homepage