A 55-year-old Oamaru man is facing 48 historic sexual abuse and assault charges.
The man was given name suppression when he appeared in the Timaru District Court before Judge Joanna Maze late yesterday.
He faces 10 charges of sexual violation by rape, 19 of sexual violation by unlawful sexual connection, five of performing an indecent act with intent to offend, eight of performing an indecent act, and charges of indecent assault, attempted sexual violation by rape, attempted sexual violation by unlawful connection, assaulting a female, and assault with a weapon.
The offending is alleged to have have occurred between 1999 and 2011.
The man has been remanded on bail to reappear in the Timaru District Court on August 21.
Terms of his bail included not travelling south of Timaru and not associating with named people.
- The Timaru Herald
Is it time to reassess how rural ambulance services are operated?
• Email or call (03) 687 1383
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Book an ad: Email or call (03) 687-1337
• Place a classfied ad: Email
or call (03) 687-1395
• Subscribe: Email
or call (03) 687 1392 or 0800 100 129
• No paper click here
• Stop or start your paper click here
• Buy a photo
• View or sign up for the Digital Edition
• Discover how to use Newspapers in Education
• Make timaruherald.co.nz your homepage
View obituaries from around the region.
View marriage and birth notices from around the region