A 55-year-old Oamaru man is facing 48 historic sexual abuse and assault charges.
The man was given name suppression when he appeared in the Timaru District Court on Tuesday.
He faces charges of sexual violation by rape, sexual violation by unlawful sexual connection, performing an indecent act with intent to offend, performing an indecent act, indecent assault, attempted sexual violation by rape, attempted sexual violation by unlawful connection, assaulting a female and assault with a weapon. The offending is alleged to have occurred between 1999 and 2011.
The man has been remanded on bail to reappear in the Timaru District Court on August 21.
- The Timaru Herald
• Email or call (03) 687 1383
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Book an ad: Email or call (03) 687-1337
• Place a classfied ad: Email
or call (03) 687-1395
• Subscribe: Email
or call (03) 687 1392 or 0800 100 129
• No paper click here
• Stop or start your paper click here
• Buy a photo
• View or sign up for the Digital Edition
• Discover how to use Newspapers in Education
• Make timaruherald.co.nz your homepage