The Labour Party's Rangitata candidate Steve Gibson has received email death threats following comments he made about Prime Minister John Key.
Gibson said he received several threatening messages after he described Key as ''Shylock'' on Facebook.
Shylock is a money-lending Jewish villain in Shakespeare's play The Merchant of Venice.
Gibsons believed the threats originated from overseas, and had ''deleted them immediately'' after reading them.
Gibson has since apologised to the Prime Minister, and said he had had several positive responses to his apology. He used the insult after hearing a friend use it to describe Key, he said.
- The Timaru Herald
Should your GPS be an official record of your speed?Related story: GPS speed readings not accepted
• Email or call (03) 687 1383
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Book an ad: Email or call (03) 687-1337
• Place a classfied ad: Email
or call (03) 687-1395
• Subscribe: Email
or call (03) 687 1392 or 0800 100 129
• No paper click here
• Stop or start your paper click here
• Buy a photo
• View or sign up for the Digital Edition
• Discover how to use Newspapers in Education
• Make timaruherald.co.nz your homepage
View obituaries from around the region.
View marriage and birth notices from around the region