Live: Ashburton shooting suspect arrested
Man arrested after two shot dead
Police have arrested Russell John Tully after two people were killed and another seriously injured when a balaclava-clad man opened fire in Ashburton's Work and Income office today.
A massive manhunt concluded about 5.30pm when Tully was found on a rural property south of the Canterbury town.
Our live coverage has now ended. Read the full story on the shooting here.
Here's what we know so far:
- Two people were shot dead by a man at a Work and Income office in Ashburton about 10am. One person was shot dead on site and another died at Ashburton Hospital. A third is in a serious but stable condition.
- A gunman entered the office on the corner of Cass and Moore streets, and fired several shots before fleeing on a bike.
- Tully, 48, was found and arrested early this evening on a rural property south east of Ashburton.
- Police had 100 staff involved in the hunt for Tully. Residents had been warned to stay indoors and to not approach him.
- The shooting has shocked Ashburton town.
- Former MP Sue Bradford has been slammed for allegedly using the shooting for political "point scoring".
- New Plymouth's Work and Income office was temporarily closed today after a man allegedly threatened staff over the phone.
Should your GPS be an official record of your speed?Related story: GPS speed readings not accepted
• Email or call (03) 687 1383
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Book an ad: Email or call (03) 687-1337
• Place a classfied ad: Email
or call (03) 687-1395
• Subscribe: Email
or call (03) 687 1392 or 0800 100 129
• No paper click here
• Stop or start your paper click here
• Buy a photo
• View or sign up for the Digital Edition
• Discover how to use Newspapers in Education
• Make timaruherald.co.nz your homepage
View obituaries from around the region.
View marriage and birth notices from around the region