Police questioning man in abduction inquiry
Investigators tonight are speaking with a Timaru man they believe could be connected with the suspected abduction and assault of a 9-year-old boy last week.
Police have taken the man to Timaru station to be interviewed, Mid-South Canterbury area commander Inspector Dave Gaskin said. He is not under arrest at this stage, Mr Gaskin said.
The "young man" is acquainted with the child but is not a relative, Mr Gaskin said. He would not provide the man's age or other details.
Police are not currently seeking other individuals in their investigation, Mr Gaskin said.
Investigators did speak with the boy again today, but he provided only a small amount of information.
Police pieced together details provided by the public, both in Timaru and in the rural area along Holme Station Rd where the boy was found.
Mr Gaskin thanked members of the public who came forward to assist with the investigation.
''Though those small details in themselves didn't mean a great deal, when the investigative team was able to analyse it all, it painted a fairly clear picture,'' he said.
Investigators will likely continue to be in touch with the boy, but no further formal interviews are planned.
Mr Gaskin also thanked the small team of investigators who have ''worked long hours doing tedious work'' to piece together elements of the case.
The boy remained in Timaru Hospital tonight in stable condition, with injuries to his mouth and jaw.
He was found at Holme Station Bridge at 4.20pm on Thursday, after leaving Oceanview Heights School in Selwyn St about 3pm.
- The Timaru Herald
• Email or call (03) 687 1383
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Book an ad: Email or call (03) 687-1337
• Place a classfied ad: Email
or call (03) 687-1395
• Subscribe: Email
or call (03) 687 1392 or 0800 100 129
• No paper click here
• Stop or start your paper click here
• Buy a photo
• View or sign up for the Digital Edition
• Discover how to use Newspapers in Education
• Make timaruherald.co.nz your homepage