Timeline of The Timaru Herald

The The Timaru Herald's first Sophia St premises, which was occupied by the newspaper from 1886 to 1984.
The The Timaru Herald's first Sophia St premises, which was occupied by the newspaper from 1886 to 1984.
The Herald's British Hoe printing press was in use until October 1954.
The Herald's British Hoe printing press was in use until October 1954.
Staff from The Timaru Herald assemble for a photo in 1934. Front row: R Campbell, HW Mckay, SH Harrow, JR Gifford, AJ Allport, AE Lawrence, AM Parker, W Vance, GM Arthur; Second row: RH Davey, FJ Mulvihill, WJ Smith, JS Whitehead, GJ Gaffaney, S Scales, Miss T Ziesler, Mrs S Black, Miss G McIntosh, Miss L Wills, AD Mangos, JM Kerr, EG Kerr, AA Wakefield. Third row: JC Davey, JJ Meechin, GS Griffiths, L Abraham, CJ Newman, M Baker, AE Hall, JC Hayhurst, F Morgan, PLD Hornbrook. Fifth row: J Parfitt, J Milne, JR Wham, AS Harvey, S Sherwin, MCI Maclaren, AK Provan, NR Johnston, P Collins.
Staff from The Timaru Herald assemble for a photo in 1934. Front row: R Campbell, HW Mckay, SH Harrow, JR Gifford, AJ Allport, AE Lawrence, AM Parker, W Vance, GM Arthur; Second row: RH Davey, FJ Mulvihill, WJ Smith, JS Whitehead, GJ Gaffaney, S Scales, Miss T Ziesler, Mrs S Black, Miss G McIntosh, Miss L Wills, AD Mangos, JM Kerr, EG Kerr, AA Wakefield. Third row: JC Davey, JJ Meechin, GS Griffiths, L Abraham, CJ Newman, M Baker, AE Hall, JC Hayhurst, F Morgan, PLD Hornbrook. Fifth row: J Parfitt, J Milne, JR Wham, AS Harvey, S Sherwin, MCI Maclaren, AK Provan, NR Johnston, P Collins.
The Timaru Herald was located at 56 Bank St from 1984 to 2012.
The Timaru Herald was located at 56 Bank St from 1984 to 2012.
Peter Looms shines the plaque commemorating the opening of The Timaru Herald building on Bank St in 1984.
Peter Looms shines the plaque commemorating the opening of The Timaru Herald building on Bank St in 1984.
The Herald becomes first daily paper in New Zealand to be published using technology allowing journalists to input copy directly into the paper's production computer in July 1988.
The Herald becomes first daily paper in New Zealand to be published using technology allowing journalists to input copy directly into the paper's production computer in July 1988.
The newest Timaru Herald building on Sophia St.
The newest Timaru Herald building on Sophia St.

Key dates in the history of The Timaru Herald.

June 11, 1864: Herald is established by Alfred George Horton, helped in first year, by Fred Edmond Younghusband and Ingram Shrimpton; first weekly issue printed on Saturday, June 11, in small detached kitchen east of hotel on corner of George. St and Main South Road (today Chengs) run by former whaler and town character Sam Williams; paper eventually moves further west on George St.

June 13, 1866: Herald becomes bi-weekly, printing on Wednesdays and Saturdays (with the arrival of telegraph).

FIRST PRINTING: The first issue of The Timaru Herald was printed on an Albion Press.
FIRST PRINTING: The first issue of The Timaru Herald was printed on an Albion Press.

December 7, 1868: Herald office, now on Main South Road (approximately Butterfields, next to present site of Excelsior Hotel, Stafford St), burns down when fire rips through more than 40 businesses and homes on Stafford St on "Black Monday"; Herald is offered temporary premises and prints single sheet for "a week or two" afterwards. Main South Road site is rebuilt.

April 1, 1871: Horton sells to Herbert Belfield, who became joint proprietor in 1866.

December 18, 1871: Herald becomes tri-weekly, printing on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

EARLY LEADER: Edward George Kerr bought The Timaru Herald in 1887.
EARLY LEADER: Edward George Kerr bought The Timaru Herald in 1887.

Late 1874: Edward Wakefield takes over as editor from Belfield. Wakefield establishes reputation as acclaimed leader writer.

January 3, 1876: Herald becomes daily paper.

April 15, 1882: Staff make presentation to Belfield to acknowledge career helming the paper — Herald has run into financial difficulties; company is formed to take over from Belfield, who is retained as manager.

EDITOR: George Gaffaney becomes 1961.
EDITOR: George Gaffaney becomes 1961.

Late 1884: Wakefield leaves Herald for Wellington; journalist William Henry Triggs takes over as editor "towards the end of year".

March 1, 1886: Herald is briefly leased to Joseph Ivess, who has associations with numerous NZ papers; George Gerald Fitzgerald becomes editor in March.

May 1, 1886: Herald's two-storey premises on corner of Sophia St and Royal (Ross) Arcade is opened; becomes Herald's home for nearly 100 years.

OPENING: Prime Minister Robert Muldoon opens the Herald's new Bank St building on March 31, 1984.
OPENING: Prime Minister Robert Muldoon opens the Herald's new Bank St building on March 31, 1984.

May 1, 1887: Edward George Kerr, owner of South Canterbury Times, buys Herald; both papers operate from Sophia St building - Herald as a morning publication, Times as an evening publication.

By the end of 1900: Herald is one of first NZ papers to install linotype machines which replace the hand-composing type method. Herald has battery of three English linotypes.

1901: South Canterbury Times closes as part of deal Kerr makes with another paper, Timaru Post (which then moves to evening publication).

NEW HOME: Building The Timaru Herald's Bank St premise.
NEW HOME: Building The Timaru Herald's Bank St premise.

July, 1904: WD Campbell becomes editor.

1905: The Timaru Herald Co Ltd is formed, owned principally by members of Kerr family.

January 11, 1907: Herald becomes one of first NZ papers to install Cossar flatbed "web" press.

INDUSTRY ADVANCES: Timaru Herald chief reporter Paul O'Rourke prepares for the move to the computer age.
INDUSTRY ADVANCES: Timaru Herald chief reporter Paul O'Rourke prepares for the move to the computer age.

1908: JM Hardcastle becomes editor.

September, 1910: William A Alexander becomes editor.

October 10, 1912: British Hoe rotary press replaces Cossar flatbed.

IN THE 80s: Barry Applby was editor of The Timaru Herald from 1987 to 1996.
IN THE 80s: Barry Applby was editor of The Timaru Herald from 1987 to 1996.

January 1913: Herald pioneers first daily rural mail and newspaper delivery service in New Zealand, inaugurated in Taiko district.

1920: Oliver Duff becomes editor.

1922: FE Baume becomes editor.

EDITOR: Dave Wood was editor from 1996 to 2009.
EDITOR: Dave Wood was editor from 1996 to 2009.

1923: Herald subsidises Post to keep it open.

1924: AE Lawrence becomes editor.

1927: Printing press is extended to increase maximum size from 16 to 24 pages; Saturday magazine (including children's page) introduced.

1928: Sophia St premises is extended; Ian Donnelly becomes editor.

1939: Post ceases publication.

October 2, 1954: Crabtree rotary press is commissioned. New press room and paper store are built at rear of Sophia St premise.

1956: WVJ Smith becomes editor.

March 16, 1957: Herald becomes first paper to offer two-colour printing. Printing press extended for a maximum of 48 pages.

1960: Reconstruction of new interior of second storey starts and new factory built.

1961: George Gaffaney becomes editor.

February 8, 1977: Herald changes to front-page news.

1979: Herald becomes a public company.

1980: Michael Vance becomes editor.

May 8, 1980: Computerised type-setting technology is introduced.

September, 1982: Graphic arts department is formed.

September 3, 1983: Facsimile page transmission system inaugurated between Wellington and Timaru to electronically transmit pages of NZ Times to Timaru.

1983: Kerr family sells 20 per cent shareholding to Independent Newspapers Limited (INL); Herald begins printing SC edition of NZ Times.

March 30, 1984: Herald moves to Banks St; building is officially opened by then-Prime Minister Robert Muldoon.

November 1, 1984: The first edition of community paper, The High Country Herald, is printed.

February 15, 1985: INL announces it is acquiring a controlling interest; Viscount rotary press commissioned.

1987: Barry Appleby becomes editor.

July, 1988: Herald becomes first daily paper in New Zealand to be published using technology allowing journalists to input copy directly into paper's production computer. Similar charges are introduced to advertising sections. Paper is first in South Pacific to introduce fully computerised page layout and production systems.

November 9, 1991: Uniman four-colour printing is introduced with installation of Man Roland double width press.

1996: Dave Wood becomes editor.

August 1, 2002: INL announces all its daily mastheads will develop individual websites.

July 1, 2003: Fairfax Media buys INL.

February 21, 2004: Herald announces upgrade of Uniman Press, installed in 1991, which will allow it to feature colour on every page in "one to two months".

2005: Printing goes off site to Guardian Print in Ashburton in March.

January 19, 2009: David King becomes editor.

July 26, 2009: The Timaru Herald joins Facebook.

November, 2011: Peter O'Neill becomes editor.

February 5, 2012: @TimaruHerald posts its first tweet.

December 10, 2012: Herald sells its Bank St site and takes over former South Canterbury Finance building (two doors down from original Sophia St building).

April 22, 2013: Printing of Herald is transferred to Fairfax print site at Logistics Drive in Christchurch.

June, 2014: The Herald celebrates its 150th anniversary.

May 18, 2015: Sarah Jarvis is appointed South Canterbury regional editor after the role of Timaru Herald editor is disestablished. Overseeing news production for The Timaru Herald newspaper and online platforms, Jarvis is the first woman to oversee the newspaper.

The Timaru Herald