12-year-old charged in Kutcher hoax

Last updated 16:19 08/02/2013
Ashton Kutcher

Relevant offers


Liam Neeson to play giant tree creature in film adaptation of A Monster Calls Special effects going old-school as films get physical once again The Walking Dead's potent combination of fear and hope Review: The Program Girl, 5, slays System of a Down's Toxicity on drums Coldplay's Chris Martin reveals ex-wife Gwyneth Paltrow wrote lyrics on new album Shortland Street actor Jayden Daniels returns to where it all began with Nga Puke Paris attacks: Entertainment industry asks for 50 million in government help TV Review: The DNA Detectives Urthboy raps a Phillip Hughes tribute to mark anniversary of cricketer's death

A 12-year-old boy has been charged with making prank calls that sent police to the home of Ashton Kutcher and to a Los Angeles bank.

Prosecutors allege that the boy called police in October and said armed men were inside Kutcher's Los Angeles home.  Authorities have accused the boy of having reported men armed with guns and explosives in Kutcher’s home and that several people had been shot. Dozens of emergency personnel were sent to the house.

A week later, a call reporting an emergency at a bank on Wilshire Boulevard also proved to be a hoax.

The district attorney's office said on Thursday (Friday NZ time) that the boy has been charged with two felony counts of making fake bomb threats and computer intrusion.

He is set to be arraigned Friday (local time) in juvenile court. Authorities didn't release the boy's name because of his age.

The practice of making such hoax calls has become known as ''swatting.'' The hoaxes often target the homes of celebrities.  Swatting calls in recent months have also sent police to the homes of singers Justin Bieber and Miley Cyru

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content