St Andrews house torched for training
House torched for trainingESTHER ASHBY-COVENTRY
A house fire in St Andrews yesterday was deliberately lit to help the fire services with training.
Three Timaru Fire Service recruits were among the 25 firefighters who took part in the exercise.
St Andrews deputy fire chief Winston Renwick said the participants used breathing apparatus and practised putting out the flames.
The exercise had gone well and as far as he knew there had been no calls to emergency services from members of the public concerned that it was a "real" fire, he said.
- The Timaru Herald