Fallen incense stick sets carpet smouldering
Timaru fire service was called to a Wellington St property yesterday morning after a small fire was started by an incense stick.
Senior station officer Garry Parker said the brigade was called out at 11.30am to investigate a small area of burnt carpet behind a bedroom cabinet and check the fire was out.
"The occupants were alerted to smoke in the house and found a small area of carpet behind a cabinet. They doused the area with water and called the fire brigade."
The fire service used a thermal imaging camera to ensure there was no fire behind the wall or under the carpet.
"The fire was started by an incense stick, which was left on the top and at the rear of the set of drawers in a bedroom. Part of the smouldering stick had broken off and had fallen on to the carpet against the wall," said Mr Parker.
"People need to be made aware that incense sticks do cause fires. They need to be placed in areas were children can't access them, or where people can't brush against them causing them to be knocked over or drop on to the floor as well as away from curtains.
"They should be placed on a fireproof dish so that any ash is contained."
- © Fairfax NZ News