Jobs wind down as port reviews roles
The majority of PrimePort administrative and management staff will remain in work at least until next month.
PrimePort chief executive Jeremy Boys confirmed yesterday that the restructure process had been completed and new roles announced.
It follows the end of container services to Timaru by shipping giants Maersk and Hamburg Sud.
Under the original proposal, 29 jobs were to go at the port but 10 of those were saved when the Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) announced it would call at the port from October 10.
Some ground staff finished last month before the port's annual report showed a net loss of $7.4 million, mostly because of a $10.1m writedown of the container asset.
"A number of (office) staff who don't have a (permanent) role will be continuing for a month or longer," Mr Boys said.
"The majority of admin and management will be working until the end of October and some into November."
Mr Boys would not say how many administrative or management positions would go, or who would stay.
Rail and Maritime Transport Union branch secretary Mike Nijssen said union members who were laid off could expect a $250 payment this week from a union fund.
He said two pools of casual workers who had been laid off had received payments from management that were above and beyond the collective agreement.
One group had been given $500 and the other $250, he said.
- © Fairfax NZ News