List of must-have items for apocalypse
Prepare for any disasterMEGAN MILLER
How should South Cantabrians prepare for the apocalypse?
The Herald asked Civil Defence manager Lamorna Cooper, who shared two lists of recommendations - one, her personal must-haves for the end of the world, and the other, a list of practical items that Kiwis should always keep to hand.
"I'd also highly recommend people come in to the council office to grab a copy of the Timaru Survival Guide," she said.
For a real emergency
Combined wind-up torch/radio/cellphone charger
Water purifying bottle
First aid kit
Lamorna Cooper's personal survival must-haves
- Karma hand cream - what will be will be.
- My pounamu toki - to remind me of whanau who will be waiting for me on the other side.
- Velcro dots - to keep me together when I feel like falling apart.
- Chocolate - preferably Whittaker's, and I don't need a reason to have it!
- The alternate New Zealand flag (silver fern on black background) - we're front row at the end of the world, just like we were the first to give women the vote, have a welfare system and fly.
- A bag of marbles - as someone else is bound to have lost theirs by that stage.
- A photo of my family.
- Solar charger for the cellphone - so you can play Bass Hunter at full tilt as there'll be no-one left to complain about it.
- My animals - pretty pointless surviving the apocalypse if they aren't around to share it.
- © Fairfax NZ News