List of must-have items for apocalypse
How should South Cantabrians prepare for the apocalypse?
The Herald asked Civil Defence manager Lamorna Cooper, who shared two lists of recommendations - one, her personal must-haves for the end of the world, and the other, a list of practical items that Kiwis should always keep to hand.
"I'd also highly recommend people come in to the council office to grab a copy of the Timaru Survival Guide," she said.
For a real emergency
Combined wind-up torch/radio/cellphone charger
Water purifying bottle
First aid kit
Lamorna Cooper's personal survival must-haves
- Karma hand cream - what will be will be.
- My pounamu toki - to remind me of whanau who will be waiting for me on the other side.
- Velcro dots - to keep me together when I feel like falling apart.
- Chocolate - preferably Whittaker's, and I don't need a reason to have it!
- The alternate New Zealand flag (silver fern on black background) - we're front row at the end of the world, just like we were the first to give women the vote, have a welfare system and fly.
- A bag of marbles - as someone else is bound to have lost theirs by that stage.
- A photo of my family.
- Solar charger for the cellphone - so you can play Bass Hunter at full tilt as there'll be no-one left to complain about it.
- My animals - pretty pointless surviving the apocalypse if they aren't around to share it.
The Timaru Herald