A temperature in the 20s on Christmas Day will fit a trend in South Canterbury that started in 2009.
But the holiday weather for much of the last decade was enough to dampen Christmas cheer - literally.
December 25, 2011
Max 20deg C at 1pm
● From 12C at 7am the day warmed quickly to 19C by 10am, but hovered around 20C for the afternoon.
December 25, 2010
Max 21C at 4pm
● The temperature rose from 10C at 7am to 21C by 4pm.
December 25, 2009
Max 28C at 4pm
● The day was already off to a good start with 14C at 7am, up to 24C by 10am. The warm weather continued into the afternoon, peaking at 28C about 4pm.
December 25, 2008
Max 13C at 7am
● 13C was as warm as the day got at 7am. By 10am the thermometre had settled on the mean temperature for the day: 12C.
December 25, 2007
Max 18C at 1pm, 4pm
● Deja vu, anyone? By 1pm the temperature had hit 18C - but like 2007 that was as warm as it got that day.
December 25, 2006
Max 18C at 4pm
● Daytime temperatures crept from 16C at 10am to 18C by 4pm.
December 25, 2005
Max 18C at 7pm
● It took most of the day but eventually the mercury tipped 18C - at 7pm.
December 25, 2004
Max 12C at 4pm
● It might as well have been a Northern Hemisphere Christmas - the day’s mean temperature was 11C, the day’s high of 12C reached at 4pm.
* Figures from www.wunderground.com sourced from Averaged Metar Reports from Timaru Airport.
- © Fairfax NZ News