More shakes awaited

STAFF REPORTER
Last updated 05:00 21/01/2013

Relevant offers

Cantabrians could be in for a bumpy week as the land settles after the weekend's magnitude-4.6 earthquake.

The quake, which struck at 9.15pm on Saturday, was the largest aftershock to hit the region since a magnitude-4.8 quake on July 6.

The tremor was centred 15km west of Christchurch, at a depth of 12km, between Rolleston and Prebbleton, close to the area known by earthquake scientists as "The Gap".

GNS duty seismologist Mark Chadwick said the quake was "unwanted but not unexpected".

"Cantabrians should expect a few tremors for the next few days, maybe a week ... there might be a magnitude-3 quake but it should mostly be 2s," he said.

There had been more than 3400 "felt it" reports on the GNS website, he said.

A Earthquake Commission spokesman said homeowners with any new damage from Saturday's quake could file a new claim.

A spokeswoman for the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority said there had been no reports of damage.

Ad Feedback

- The Timaru Herald

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content