Early Timaru newspapers captured on film
The latest in a series of historical short films being produced by the South Canterbury Museum Development Trust, featuring the early life of the Timaru Herald through to the present day, has been released.
The short film created by museum director Philip Howe and Fiona McKenzie records the history of the first newspapers in Timaru of which there were several, through to the formation of the Herald and its 80-year association with the Kerr family.
The film talks of the early newspapers such as the Timaru and Gladstone Gazettes, The Tomahawk, the Evening Telegraph and the Timaru Morning Post, which was later an evening paper, that all served the town up until the turn of the century.
The Post was bought by the Kerr family in 1939 leaving the Timaru Herald as the town's only newspaper at the time.
The 12-minute film is one in a series charting the history of the district, with others featuring the likes of aviator Richard Pearse, jet boat inventor Bill Hamilton and Colin Murdoch, the man who developed the syringe used by farmers to dose stock today and the syringe dart used throughout the world in animal recovery.
The Timaru Herald film was sponsored by the Kerr Family Trust, which was established 20 years ago by Dorothy Kerr and has in that time given $140,000 to community organisations. The films can be seen at the museum for a small charge.
The Timaru Herald