St Anne's celebrates 150 years of services

ESTHER ASHBY-COVENTRY
Last updated 05:00 11/03/2013
st annes
MYTCHALL BRANSGROVE/ Fairfax NZ

COMMEMORATIVE WORK: A special wall hanging was unveiled as part of St Anne's Church's 150th celebrations on Saturday. From left are Margaret Griffiths and Alice Robinson, and Marie Temple who made the wall hanging.

Related Links

Church to mark milestone Pleasant celebration ahead

Relevant offers

Locals, the bishop and descendants of the first pioneers at Pleasant Valley attended St Anne's Church 150th anniversary in the weekend.

The Anglican church was built in 1863 by Thomas Hardcastle and Parson Brown using totara, kahikatea and matai wood with cob clay and tussock. It was known as the Orari Parish and pre-dated settlement in Geraldine.

Eight of Mr Hardcastle's descendants took part in the anniversary events.

Marie Temple, a descendant by marriage of Edwin Castle who lived in Castlewood, one of the original houses in the valley, made a wall hanging for the anniversary.

Saturday started with a prayer and the unveiling of the wall hanging of the Four Peaks mountain range and the church, before a bush walk through the regenerated bush. It had been milled by the early settlers, and at one time, there were three mills in the area.

Anniversary organiser and valley resident Jan Hill opened her 100-year-old home to visitors, some of whom had lived in it when they were young or had been born in it when it had been owned by a midwife.

Yesterday Christchurch Anglican Bishop Victoria Matthews took a service in the church to conclude the celebratory weekend and bless the wall hanging, followed by a lunch.

Ad Feedback

- The Timaru Herald

Comments

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content