Good response to TV recycling plan
South Canterbury has 2359 fewer "idiot boxes" thanks to the TV TakeBack programme.
More than 2300 TV sets were collected for recycling in South Canterbury during the second phase of the programme, the Ministry for the Environment said.
The cost to recycle unwanted televisions in the South Island was subsidised by the Government from March 25 until August 21 and hundreds of residents took the opportunity to drop off their sets at a series of collection points.
All-up, 2359 were collected at eight sites in the region with Timaru District Council recording 1841, Mackenzie District Council 183 and Waimate District Council 335.
Ministry for the Environment operations manager Glenn Wigley said a total of 35,471 televisions were collected across the South Island, excluding the West Coast.
"We are very pleased with the response from those in South Canterbury because televisions contain valuable materials that can be reused in new products, and hazardous ones that can be harmful if released into soil or waterways," Mr Wigley said.
"TVs contain components which can be recycled locally, or sent overseas to specialist recycling facilities. Metals can be melted down and used in new items for the construction or agricultural industries. Gold can be recovered in specialist facilities overseas for use in new electronic items. Glass can be re-manufactured overseas into new televisions or monitors, used for sand blasting or in industrial processes.
"We're still encouraging residents to recycle their unwanted televisions even though the TV TakeBack subsidy has finished in the region."
The TV TakeBack programme, launched in October last year by Minister for the Environment Amy Adams, was an initiative to encourage the public to recycle their unwanted TVs, diverting them from landfill. It will be rolled out across New Zealand to coincide with each region going digital.
- © Fairfax NZ News