Whanganui police officers have visited Timaru to take statements from South Canterbury rugby players in relation to the alleged rape of a young woman in Whanganui on Sunday morning.
The South Canterbury team was in Whanganui for a Heartland Championship game.
In the wake of the allegations, four South Canterbury players have voluntarily stood down from today's game against West Coast in Timaru.
Whanganui Detective Senior Sergeant Neil Forlong said yesterday his officers in Timaru had now completed taking statements and would be returning home.
"Staff in Whanganui will be making further inquiries over the weekend and into early next week."
Asked how many players were involved, Mr Forlong said the allegations had been brought against more than one player.
"We will be analysing the information we currently have and will make some decisions in due course."
He said the complainant was being supported by her family and friends.
The South Canterbury rugby team was staying at the Kingsgate Hotel in the city at the time.
Analysis of CCTV footage from Whanganui City Council cameras and bars the players are believed to have visited was continuing, he said.
Timaru lawyer Tony Shaw is acting for the four players who have voluntarily stood down.
"These players have stood down so that their team-mates and their families are not the subject of unnecessary rumours or suspicions. They do not accept the allegations . . . or that there has been any criminal wrongdoing on their behalf."
Officers from Whanganui, Palmerston North and Timaru are involved in the investigation.
- © Fairfax NZ News