An electrical worker has cheated death twice, surviving a 6600-volt shock and an eight-metre fall from a power pole in South Canterbury.
The incident happened east of the Clandeboye dairy factory, near Temuka, yesterday afternoon.
A Westpac rescue helicopter spokesman said the 20-year-old, from the West Coast, was lucky to survive.
"He was electrocuted with 6600 volts and fell about eight metres," he said.
"Considering what he went through, I'd say you don't get that close and get away with it."
The man's boss was with him at the time and raised the alarm.
He suffered only broken bones in his arm and a minor electrical burn mark on his hand.
"Other than that, he got off scot-free," the spokesman said.
The man was initially "knocked out", but was conscious and talking when the ambulance arrived.
He believed the man's age, combined with being "fit and healthy", and landing on the grass verge were factors on his side.
"From that point of view he had everything going for him," the spokesman said.
The man was flown to Christchurch Hospital for treatment.
Alpine Energy worked throughout the weekend restoring power to the remaining parts of South Canterbury after last Tuesday's windstorm, but some areas still remain without.
Areas west of Waimate are still without power.
Alpine Energy chief executive Andrew Tombs said the accident involving the worker had had some impact on restoration work.
"We appreciate your [customers'] patience and understanding in this matter and we are doing everything we can to support the injured worker and his colleagues and family, as well as continue where possible with restoration."
- © Fairfax NZ News