Conor Jennings has two reasons to be in good spirits.
The 20-year-old ElectroNet lineman survived not only a high-voltage shock while working at the top of a South Canterbury power pole, but also the resulting eight-metre fall.
Recovering from the Sunday incident in Christchurch Hospital, Mr Jennings said yesterday he was still "a bit crook" and could therefore not be interviewed.
However, rescuers said he was lucky to survive.
"He was [shocked] with 6600 volts and fell about eight metres.
"Considering what he went through, I'd say you don't get that close and get away with it," a Westpac rescue helicopter spokesman said.
He suffered broken bones in his arm and a minor electrical burn mark on his hand.
"Other than that, he got off scot-free," the spokesman said.
The incident occurred east of the Clandeboye dairy factory, near Temuka, early in the afternoon.
Mr Jennings, who is from the West Coast, was assisting Alpine Energy in Timaru restore power to their consumers after last week's wind storms.
He was initially "knocked out", but was conscious and talking when paramedics arrived.
The man's boss was with him at the time and raised the alarm.
The helicopter spokesman believed the man's age, combined with being "fit and healthy" and landing on the grass verge were factors on his side.
"From that point of view he had everything going for him," the spokesman said.
Taser: 50,000 volts (0.02 amps)
Electric fence: 3000-10,000 volts
Household plug: 10 amps
- © Fairfax NZ News