Mower ignites station grass blaze

ALEXIA JOHNSTON
Last updated 09:43 22/01/2014

Relevant offers

Tekapo firefighters battled a blaze for two hours yesterday after a mower hit a rock, starting a fire in a paddock.

An appliance and tanker attended the fire at Mt Gerald Station at 4.20pm.

Chief fireman Craig Willis said five hectares of grass was burnt in the blaze.

''It was just pure accident. There was nothing they could do about it,'' he said.

Mr Willis said grass fires had not been a major problem in the area over recent months.

''It's been pretty good this summer."

Ad Feedback

- The Timaru Herald

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content