Garage blaze guts car

ALEXIA JOHNSTON
Last updated 05:00 13/03/2014

Relevant offers

Fire engulfed a car parked in a Timaru garage, destroying the vehicle.

Eight firefighters from Timaru and Washdyke fought the blaze on Aynsley St on Tuesday night, using breathing apparatus and a high pressure hose. A second high pressure hose was used to protect the house, about two metres away from the garage, senior station officer Garry Parker said.

Fire crews were called to the blaze at 7.40pm and found the Ford Telstar already "well involved".

"We were there for quite some time," Mr Parker said. "It was quite difficult to extinguish because a fuel line inside the garage had ruptured and the petrol was emptying and igniting [the] tyres ...

"It was made more difficult for the firefighters due to the heat, smoke and front of the vehicle parked close to the front of the garage, making access to the area on fire difficult."

Petrol and water "run-off" going into a neighbour's garage added to their concern.

It took 10 minutes to finally extinguish all the flames, he said.

The house escaped the inferno. The cause has yet to be determined.

Washdyke's fire crew was also called to McCain Foods in Washdyke at 1.55am yesterday, but it turned out to be a false alarm.

Ad Feedback

- The Timaru Herald

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content