Light fitting sparks Ballantynes fire

Staff and shoppers are evacuated from Ballantynes in Timaru after a small fire in a light fitting is discovered.
Staff and shoppers are evacuated from Ballantynes in Timaru after a small fire in a light fitting is discovered.
Staff and shoppers are evacuated from Ballantynes in Timaru after a small fire in a light fitting is discovered.
Staff and shoppers are evacuated from Ballantynes in Timaru after a small fire in a light fitting is discovered.
Staff and shoppers are evacuated from Ballantynes in Timaru after a small fire in a light fitting is discovered.
Staff and shoppers are evacuated from Ballantynes in Timaru after a small fire in a light fitting is discovered.
Staff and shoppers are evacuated from Ballantynes in Timaru after a small fire in a light fitting is discovered.
Staff and shoppers are evacuated from Ballantynes in Timaru after a small fire in a light fitting is discovered.
Staff and shoppers are evacuated from Ballantynes in Timaru after a small fire in a light fitting is discovered.
Staff and shoppers are evacuated from Ballantynes in Timaru after a small fire in a light fitting is discovered.

Shoppers were evacuated from Timaru department store Ballantynes after a small fire this morning.

Staff extinguished the fire with a fire extinguisher, according to Ballantynes' general manager Sharron Ballantyne.

Ballantyne said the building was evacuated within minutes of the fire being found, adding staff underwent regular fire drills.

SMALL BLAZE: Firefighters at work at Ballantynes on Stafford St.
SMALL BLAZE: Firefighters at work at Ballantynes on Stafford St.

Firefighters and police were alerted to the incident about 11.40am, and a cordon was put in place around the shop.

Timaru fire service station officer Trevor Karton confirmed a light fitting was the cause of the fire.

The Timaru Herald