Chimney fire sparks warning
Firefighters are urging South Canterbury residents to clean their chimneys following a fire in Waimate this week.
The Waimate Volunteer Fire Brigade was called to Studholme Settlement Rd at 6pm on Tuesday to extinguish a chimney fire. It took firefighters about 40 minutes.
Chief firefighter Duncan Lyall said it was the first callout of its kind this season, prompting a reminder to residents to get their chimneys cleaned in preparation for winter. "Now is the time."
Annette Goodman, of Murrays Chimney Sweep, said people were starting to take note, which had caused a backlog of work.
"We're flat stick. We've got a five to six week waiting list."
A request to realtors to get in early with rental properties had added to the backlog, but in general people were making appointments earlier than usual, she said.
"A lot of people still wait till later. They wait until the fire can't go at all before they ring us. They need to ring as a maintenance thing."
She said chimney cleaning was something residents should consider an annual event.
- The Timaru Herald