Chemical fumes close Auckland school

STEVE HOPKINS
Last updated 12:43 11/02/2013

Relevant offers

National

Booze ban for Trentham Racecourse after minors were served alcohol at Wellington Cup Day Lobby group Family First blames unmarried couples for child poverty Hastings liquor thief arrested after aggravated robbery Waikato farmer struck by cow Government rejects 'fox in the henhouse' criticism Kids with life-threatening illnesses get some special treatment Holding on to hope when a loved one is lost Smoking era left thousands of baby boomers with disease Zuri the giraffe to dodge bridges, wires and tasty trees on her road trip to Wellington 'Light' earthquake shakes Christchurch on Sunday evening

An Auckland primary school has been evacuated and a man has been decontaminated after two pool chemicals reacted badly when mixed together today.

Fire Service spokeswoman Tania Matthews said they were called to Hillpark Primary School, in Manurewa, at 10.17am by St John ambulance staff who treated a man who was "overcome" when he breathed in the fumes.

Matthews said the man was decontaminated at the school in Grande Vue Rd.   

She said the school had been evacuated and fans were being used to clear the fumes.

It was not known when the children would be allowed to return to the school, but Matthews said shortly after midday that firefighters would remain at the scene for some time. 

Ad Feedback

- Auckland Now

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content