Australian hostage seen in video

Last updated 01:29 27/12/2012

Relevant offers

World

Trump-Russia probe: Robert Mueller's team has prosecuted high-stakes cases, including obstruction of justice UK Parliament targeted in cyber security attack Rescuers dig for bodies after landslide wipes out village in southwestern China Australian woman freed after being trapped under house for four days Concern rises as flammable cladding found in multiple high-rises across Britain Here's what Donald Trump's family thinks of Johnny Depp's assassination joke Danielle McLaughlin: There are divisions in America but the country remains united - so far Underground blast kills eight coal miners in Colombia Why Arab leaders hate TV network Al Jazeera The man with the weight of America's Goofy-shaped democracy on his shoulders

An Australian man held hostage by militants in the southern Philippines for more than a year has appeared in a video as proof that he is alive.

Warren Richard Rodwell said on the video that he was being held in isolation. He said he understood there were negotiations for his release under way but added, "I personally hold no hope at all for being released."

He said he was kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf, a notorious al-Qaida-linked group.

Philippine intelligence officials said on Wednesday that they believe the video, which has been circulated on YouTube, is authentic.

Rodwell appeared thinner than in a previous video posted in January. He held a copy of a local newspaper dated December 15 and said the recording was made the following day.

Ad Feedback

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content