Police interview boy over Kiwi kid's death
Fiji police say they are questioning a 10-year-old boy over the shooting death of a six-year-old Auckland boy and the wounding of a 14-year-old.
Mohammed Khubeb Khan and his cousin Mohammed Nabil Khan, 14, were hit on Saturday by the same rifle bullet.
Fiji Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro said in a statement they were questioning the 10-year-old along with his parents. The owner of the licensed gun was also being questioned.
Khubeb was the family's only child, the Fiji Times reported. He was pronounced dead on arrival at Lautoka Hospital. Nabil is in a serious condition.
In keeping with Islamic custom, the boy was buried yesterday.
The Times said the boy's family had arrived in Fiji three weeks ago to help build a home in the Sabeto Highlands in the west of Viti Levu.
A relative, Mohammed Nasir Khan, told the newspaper the family had completed the home on Saturday.
"All our relatives had been invited for the opening of the new home," he said.
"Sadly we are no longer rejoicing but mourning the death of young Khubeb.
"Khubeb is the only boy in his family and he will be sadly missed by all of us. The family now reside in Auckland but always visited the country on many occasions."
The Times said the family were cleaning up around the house when they heard the gunshot.
"They rushed to the scene and found Khubeb and 14-year Mohammed Nabil Khan on the ground with gun-shot wounds."