Timaru Boys' High already behind the football

20:59, May 14 2014

Timaru Boys' High School hit an early stumbling block in their attempt to qualify for the national secondary school football tournament with a 2-0 loss to Middleton Grange at Sir Basil Arthur Park yesterday.

It was better news for Mountainview High School, who managed to beat Christchurch Boys' High School 4-2 in Christchurch thanks to a hat-trick from Harrison Bowman.

Timaru had the better of the opening 15 minutes. Jordan Howey-Beattie found room down the right wing and linked with striker Ross Godwin well.

Defensively, Timaru struggled to mark up at times and this provided Middleton Grange with some chances.

Jack Deeley had a shot cleared off the line while Howey-Beattie hit the cross bar.

Middleton Grange were gifted shooting chances through silly free kicks near the Timaru penalty area.


Min Hong worked hard on the left wing while Josh French was composed at the back.

Timaru created the best chances but a combination of strong goal keeping and poor execution kept the score at 0-0 at halftime.

Middleton Grange pounced early in the second half when Josiah Clapperton latched on to a long ball and outpaced defender Mark Otley and then produced a composed finish after he rounded the goalkeeper.

Middleton Grange controlled the tempo of much of the second half.

They looked more likely to double their advantage than Timaru did of levelling.

An increasingly frustrated Timaru were put out of their misery eight minutes from fulltime by Logan Hall who had an open net to run the ball into after he got his body in front of a clearing kick.

Coach Gary Ivamy said his team should have scored early and when it didn't make the most of those chances, it was rightly punished.

"We created enough and should have been up by two or three goals after 20 minutes," he said. "We didn't mark up as tight as we needed at times."

TBHS play Northern Hearts in the South Canterbury League on Saturday.

The Timaru Herald