Hard slog ends in draw

19:43, May 18 2014

Timaru City ploughed its way to a gritty, yet unspectacular 0-0 South Canterbury League football draw against Pleasant Point at the boggy Caledonian Grounds on Saturday.

Timaru City were as rugged and tenacious as ever, relying on the long ball and sweating on that one golden opportunity to score.

In other results; Northern Hearts predictably beat Timaru Boys' High School (TBHS) 8-1 but did concede their first goal of the season.

Thistle earned a confidence- boosting 2-2 draw with West End and Mountainview FC grabbed their first win in the top flight with a strong 1-0 victory over Meadowbank United in Oamaru.

Pleasant Point would have been wondering what they had to do to get the opening goal.

They dominated the first 20 minutes with strong runs down the right flank.


Callum Potter was the architect in midfield but a couple of scoring chances were well stopped by Timaru City goal keeper Danny Hay.

When Timaru City did sweep on to attack they often left one of their strikers alone which allowed the visitors to get men back to defend.

Timaru City were tenacious in defence.

Captain Neil Smith was excellent at spotting danger and Point struggled to play the attractive style they wanted to on a pitch and against a team that did not allow them to do it.

In a game of few chances, Pleasant Point coach Danny Johnston said had it not been for Hay, the winning goal would have been scored.

"Had it not been for [Hay] we probably would have scored a couple of times but they are a hard side to break down and we knew with conditions being as they were, it would be challenging." Strangely it was TBHS coach Gary Ivamy who was happier than Hearts' player/ coach Matt Chambers after Hearts' 8-1 win.

Ivamy said being the first side in the League to score against the runaway leaders might be the "turning point" his young team needed despite a 6-1 first half deficit.

"The second half was much better and the boys actually played some attractive football."

An Ants Hancock hat-trick was the highlight for Hearts in a match that Chambers described as a flat but understandable performance.

Thistle managed a draw but were left ruing two quick goals late in the first half that saw their two-goal lead evaporate.

"We did quite well to pick ourselves back up after thinking that we would be up two goals at halftime," Thistle player/coach Craig Hinton said.

The Timaru Herald