South Canterbury Cricket has all but given up hope of having current Canterbury all-rounder Ben McCord available for the first Hawke Cup match against North Otago next Saturday.
South Canterbury Cricket acting executive officer, Mark Medlicott, said McCord had a nagging hamstring injury which he was trying to work through. He had also been selected for a two-day match for Canterbury A against Otago A at Rangiora's Mainpower Oval on December 4 and 5 and two Twenty20 fixtures the following day and the feeling was he would be over-committed if he played for South Canterbury on December 8 and 9.
McCord played for South Canterbury last season in a Hawke Cup match and they were keen to try to get him back.
McCord made his debut for Canterbury in the four-day Plunket Shield last month and is now firmly involved in the Canterbury set-up.
Medlicott said the short turnaround between games made it seem McCord would not be a starter for Aorangi Oval.
"He's been selected for those two games but is under an injury cloud.
"Even if he gets through that (injury) and is selected, I don't think it would be a good idea for him to play two games and then try to play for us two days later.
"You don't want him injuring himself two-overs into a spell, so it appears it is a no (on his availability)."
Medlicott said his organisation understood that Canterbury commitments took precedence over their own needs.
"He's made that step-up this year and we wouldn't want to jeopardise his chances at continuing his time playing for Canterbury."
McCord's absence will cause a minor headache for South Canterbury coach Robin Beeby and selector John Davies who were hopeful of having his talents bolster the seam bowling stocks and add some grit to the middle-order batting.
Beeby said it was disappointing but they had planned for the possibility of not having him.
He said they would be keen to try to get him for other Hawke Cup fixtures late in the season.
- © Fairfax NZ News