Dunedin landmark beats out Sky Tower
Forget the Bay of Islands and Cathedral Cove - a home built for a Dunedin businessman is apparently New Zealand's top must-see attraction.
Olveston, a historic Dunedin home has taken out the title of the country's top landmark in TripAdvisor's Traveller's Choice awards.
Olveston beat out the likes of the Sky Tower, Parliament, and the birthplace of the Treaty of Waitangi.
It was also the only New Zealand site which managed to boast a spot on the top 10 South Pacific landmarks list, coming in at number five alongside famous Australian landmarks including the Australian War Memorial, Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Olveston chairman George Friedlander said he was delighted to receive the honour.
"It validates the importance of the work we are doing in preserving and sharing Olveston, an important asset to our city."
New Zealand also proved itself to be home to some of the South Pacific's most beautiful parks, with Auckland's Cornwall Park, New Plymouth's Pukekura Park and Auckland Domain taking out three spots on the top 10 parks list.
The results were based on the quantity and quality of reviews for landmark and park attractions worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period.
Top 10 Traveller's Choice landmarks in New Zealand
1. Olveston, Dunedin
2. Sky Tower, Auckland
3. Old St Paul's Cathedral, Wellington
4. Stone Store - Kerikeri Mission Station, Kerikeri
5. Parliament Buildings, Wellington
6. Pompalier House, Russell
7. Nugget Point, Balclutha
8. Waitangi National Trust & Treaty House, North Island
9. Church of the Good Shepherd, Lake Tekapo
10. Auckland Harbour Bridge, Auckland
Top 10 South Pacific Parks
1. Kings Park & Botanic Garden, Perth, Australia
2. Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne, Australia
3. South Bank Parklands, Brisbane, Australia
4. Roma Street Parkland, Brisbane, Australia
5. Cornwall Park, Auckland, New Zealand
6. Pukekura Park, New Plymouth, New Zealand
7. Lake Pertobe Adventure Playground, Warrnambool, Australia
8. Paronella Park, Mena Creek, Australia
9. Werribee Park, Weeribee, Australia
10. Auckland Domain, Auckland, New Zealand
Top 10 landmarks in the South Pacific
1. Australian War Memorial, Canberra, Australia
2. Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia
3. Sydney Harbour Bridge, Sydney, Australia
4. Ubirr, Jabiru, Australia
5. Olveston, Dunedin, New Zealand
6. Fletcher's Mutiny Cyclorama, Norfolk Island, Australia
7. Penitentiary Chapel, Hobart, Australia
8. Fremantle Prison, Fremantle, Australia
9. Port Arthur Historic Site, Port Arthur, Australia
10. Kings Park War Memorial, Perth, Australia
Top 10 landmarks in the world
1. Machu Picchu, Peru
2. Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3. Taj Mahal, Agra, India
4. Great Cathedral and Mosque, Cordoba, Spain
5. St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican City, Italy
6. Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia
7. Bayon Temple, Siem Reap, Cambodia
8. Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood, St. Peterburg, Russia
9. Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, USA
10. Ancient City Walls, Dubrovnik, Croatia
Do you have a landmark that you think deserves a spot on the list? Leave a comment.