NZ has one of the best beaches in the world, according to Passport magazine
Beating Brazil, US, and Europe, one of the best beaches in the world is right here in Auckland, according to Passport magazine, a US publication aimed at an LGBT+ audience.
Claiming second spot on their list of 25, Karekare Beach, on the west coast of Auckland, won high praise from the judge's for its "fine dark sand, rough-hewn peaks, and overpowering elements."
Firmly ensconced as that beach where The Piano was filmed, and Xena, Warrior Princess, the judges remarked, "Karekare might be a movie star, but it wears its fame and beauty effortlessly," the editors at Passport magazine noted.
"The beach itself has a wildness, an out-there quality that makes it exciting. While not exactly unfrequented, there's still a feeling here that one is an intrepid explorer discovering previously unknown worlds," the website states.
"Adding to the drama is the jaggedness of the coast, the fine dark sand, the rough-hewn peaks, the alluring Karekare Falls just moments away, and, most of all, the overpowering elements, the impression of being out at the edge of the world."
The honour of best beach went to L'Espiguette Beach in France. The full list is below.
PASSPORT MAGAZINE'S 25 BEST BEACHES IN THE WORLD
- L'Espiguette Beach, Aigues-Mortes, France
- Karekare Beach, Auckland, New Zealand
- Bocas Del Toro, Panama
- Matira Beach, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
- Buzios, Brazil
- Cape Town, South Africa
- Varadero Beach, Cuba
- Knip Beach, Curacao
- China Beach, Danang, Vietnam
- Glass Beach, California, US
- Es Cavallet Beach, Ibiza, Spain
- Hanalei Bay Beach, Kauai, Hawaii
- Bells Beach, Melbourne, Australia
- Temaw Beach, Moorea, Tahiti
- Elia Beach, Mykonos, Greece
- Kaneohe Bay Sandbar, Oahu, Hawaii
- Barafundle Bay, Wales
- Herring Cove, Massachusetts, US
- Punta Del Este, Uruguay
- Ipanema Beach, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
- Il Buco, Ostia, Italy
- Silver Strand State beach, California, US
- Tel Aviv, Israel
- Dune Beach, Torre Del Lago, Italy
- Robin Hood's Bay, Yorkshire