What's your favourite beach in the world?Share your stories, photos and videos.
Brazil's Sancho Bay on the remote island of Fernando de Noronha has been voted as the world's best beach by Tripadvisor.
It's not the world's easiest beach to access, but the best often aren't. The reward of a hard-earned trip is watching waterfalls tumbling over lush green cliffs into turquoise waters, where you can observe dolphins and sea turtles.
Closer to Tunisia than Sicily, last year's winner Rabbit Beach in Italy slid to the number four spot. Situated on the country's southernmost island, Lampedusa, it has a reputation for cracking weather all year round, is well-secluded by cliffs and has crystal-clear waters and soft sands.
"For those dreading the start of winter, there's really no better cure than an escape to one of these award-winning beaches," said Tripadvisor's chief marketing officer Barbara Messing.
"Even if you can't go to one of these stunning beaches soon, just looking at the photos will take you away for a moment, until you can plan a trip."
The lists are based on reviews and ratings for beaches on the site over the past 12 months.
Unexpectedly, reviewers rated Welsh beach Rhossili Bay at number 9; it's striking, colourful setting and desolate nature making it one of the world's most beautiful, where adventurous types can seek out shipwrecks and prehistoric remains in the beach's waters.
In New Zealand, Maunganui Beach took out the top spot with Piha Beach coming in second. Expedia's list of the top beaches caused quite a debate. Do you agree with Tripadvisor's list of New Zealand's best beaches?
Top 25 beaches in the world:
1. Baia do Sancho, Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
2. Grace Bay, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
3. Flamenco Beach, Culebra, Puerto Rico
4. Rabbit Beach, Lampedusa, Italy
5. Whitehaven Beach, Whitsunday Island, Australia
6. Playa de ses Illetes, Formentera, Spain
7. Anse Lazio, Praslin Island, Seychelles
8. Lanikai Beach, Kailua, Hawaii
9. Rhossili Bay, Swansea, Wales
10. Playa Norte, Isla Mujeres, Mexico
11. Playa Paraiso Beach, Cayo Largo, Cuba
12. Praia dos Carneiros, Tamandare, Brazil
13. Lopes Mendes Beach, Ilha Grande, Brazil
14. The Baths, Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands
15. Playa de las Catedrales, Ribadeo, Spain
16. Ka'anapali Beach, Lahaina, United States
17. Elafonissi Beach, Elafonissi, Greece
18. Cala Mariolu, Baunei, Italy
19. White Beach, Boracay, Philippines
20. Turquoise Bay, Exmouth, Australia
21. Anse Source d'Argent, La Digue Island, Seychelles
22. Cable Beach, Broome, Australia
23. Playa Manuel Antonio, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica
24. Camp's Bay Beach, Camps Bay, South Africa
25. Radhanagar Beach, Havelock Island, India
Top 10 Beaches in New Zealand:
1. Mt Maunganui Beach, Mt Maunganui, New Zealand
2. Piha Beach, Piha, New Zealand
3. Oriental Bay, Wellington, New Zealand
4. Ninety Mile Beach, Kaitaia, New Zealand
5. Ohope Beach, Whakatane, New Zealand
6. Bethells Beach, Auckland, New Zealand
7. Whangamata Beach, Whangamata, New Zealand
8. Kaiteriteri Beach, Kaiteriteri, New Zealand
9. Karekare Beach, Auckland, New Zealand
10. Tunnel Beach, Dunedin, New Zealand
Top 10 beaches in the South Pacific:
1. Whitehaven Beach, Whitsunday Island, Australia
2. Turquoise Bay, Exmouth, Australia
3. Cable Beach, Broome, Australia
4. Maunganui Beach, Maunganui, New Zealand
5. Shelly Beach, Sydney, Australia
6. Burleigh Heads Beach, Burleigh Heads, Australia
7. Four Mile Beach, Port Douglas, Australia
8. Manly Beach, Sydney, Australia
9. Matira Beach, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
10. Piha Beach, Piha, New Zealand
Have you been to any of the beaches that made the top 25 list? Do you agree with this ranking? Leave a comment below.
- FFX Aus