How to book an affordable, romantic holiday
Let me ask you a question, where did you go for your last holiday?
There are few places in the world where couples can actually get away by themselves without their kids.
Many hotels and resorts thrive on the fact that they are family-friendly destinations.
If you are DINKS (dual income, no kids relationship) and are planning to have kids in the future I suggest that you take advantage of your couples holidays now because once you have children your holidays become about theme parks, amusement parks, and family-friendly destinations.
Wouldn't it be nice to just get away and have a couples retreat?
Our good friends at Adaptu have shared some great money saving tips to help all couples afford a romantic getaway that they deserve.
Use these money saving tips for your next couples holiday:
1. Travel Off Season. It may not be ideal to travel to certain destinations during hurricane season or during the winter, but if you travel just before a peak holiday season you can save a lot of money.
Travelling during the holidays is always very expensive. I like to travel in May or in September because tourist season is over or has not yet begun and the weather is still nice. I don't like travelling in the summer because it's way too hot and cities are overcrowded.
2. Consider a Bed and Breakfast. I prefer to travel to city destinations; therefore I have never stayed at a country bed and breakfast, but the idea seems cosy.
If you have stayed at a country inn or a bed and breakfast I would love to hear about your experience. Apparently it's a lot cheaper than staying at a large hotel chain.
3. Use Your Frequent Flier Miles. This is a great way to book a cheaper holiday. However if you are a member of too many reward programs it can take forever for your points to add up.
The key to earning free rewards is to enrol in only a few elite programs, as an example have a credit card that offers travel rewards and travel insurance and then have a frequent flier miles card with one airline and a customer loyalty/discount membership with one hotel chain.
If you are always flying with the same airline and staying at the same hotel your rewards will add up very quickly.
4. Be Careful About Hidden Fees. Using frequent flier miles is definitely beneficial and can lower your costs, however using frequent flier miles doesn't guarantee that your flight will be free.
Even though your actual flight may be free when you use your frequent flier miles many companies still require clients to pay the taxes on the flight. Another common travel fee is the expense for luggage.
Many airlines charge clients who check extra bags or luggage that exceeds the normal weight.
5. Foreign Currency Exchange. Using your credit cards and ATM cards while travelling overseas can be very costly.
The fees associated with exchanging currency in a foreign country can also be very expensive because they take advantage of tourists.
It is best to exchange your money at your local bank branch before travelling. Many banks require clients to order foreign currency at least three days in advance.
Do you have any tips to help couples get away on a budget? Leave a comment below.