Another traveller dies from local alcohol

LINDSAY MURDOCH
Last updated 14:06 08/01/2013
Alcohol abroad
DANGEROUS BREW: Liam Davies suffered methanol poisoning after drinking at a bar on the island of Lombok on New Year's Eve.

Relevant offers

Travel Troubles

Passengers in mid-air brawl over crying baby Holiday horrors: 3 days of bloody hell Auckland fog hits flights Video: American Airlines flight rocked by turbulence Edible bird nests stopped at border Air New Zealand flight forced to return to Auckland Interislander's Aratere ferry delayed after cancellations Engine fire forces dramatic emergency landing Passengers abandon bus as driver 'erratic' Cook Strait ferry Aratere cleared to sail

Another Australian traveller has died after a night of partying in a South-East Asia country, adding to concerns about binge drinking and potentially fatal locally-made cocktails.

Darwin man Kane Scriven, 40, has died after a night of heavy drinking in Laos, according to a friend, Nick Parkin.

The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed the death, although further details are unknown.

Just over a week ago Denni North, 33, died after being found barely conscious beside a pool in Bali.

Perth man Liam Davies, 19, died last week after suffering methanol poisoning from a drink on the Indonesian tourist island of Lombok.

Melbourne man Sebastian Eric Faulkner, 21, plunged to his death from the ninth floor of a hotel in Phuket on new year’s day.

Laos has become a popular destination for mainly young adventure travellers. Three Australians died in the country within a month last year, two of them from tubing, a sport involving floating down a river.

Australian foreign minister Bob Carr last week appealed for a ban the selling of adulterated drinks overseas.

Ad Feedback

- Sydney Morning Herald

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content