Emergency landing in Canada: Smoke in Lufthansa jumbo jet cockpit
A Lufthansa Boeing 747 jumbo jet with 363 people on board made an emergency landing in eastern Canada on Tuesday after being diverted due to smoke in the cockpit, the German airline says.
The 345 passengers and 18 crew members on the flight from Frankfurt bound for Orlando, Florida, were uninjured and were able to leave the aircraft at an airport in Gander, Newfoundland, without the use of emergency slides, a spokesman for Lufthansa said on Wednesday (NZT).
Lufthansa has sent a replacement aircraft to fly the passengers to Florida as well as technicians to investigate the incident.
* Air New Zealand flight to Tonga forced to turn back due to airport lighting issue
* Pilot forced to abort landing at Nepal airport when goat appears on the runway
* Pilot smashes into seven runway lights, keeps on flying
* Runway collision with buffalo damages plane
* World's most extreme and scary airports