Costa Concordia to be righted

Last updated 11:57 13/09/2013
Costa Landscape
Reuters

AERIAL VIEW: The Costa Concordia as it lies on its side next to Giglio Island.

Related Links

Costa Concordia wreck could remain till 2013 Costa Concordia captain apologises Costa Concordia 'helpless in seconds' Costa Concordia captain 'in fighting mood' Concordia survivors remember ship wreck Costa fined $1.5M for Concordia wreck Concordia captain seeks new plea deal

Relevant offers

Travel Troubles

Swedish tourist goes tramping in socks and sandals on Mount Taranaki Man dies on Qantas flight soon after departure from Auckland Easyjet pilot forced to abort landing because cabin crew were too busy 'partying' Takaka dairy farmer caught in middle of freedom camping row Travellers reveal their pet peeves on airplanes in annual plane etiquette survey Jetstar pilot applauded after white-knuckle landing at Wellington Airport Community action in response to out-of-control freedom camp in Takaka American Airlines, American Eagle planes collide at LaGuardia, officials say Tourists injured after trying to break into Colosseum in Rome Plane struck by a bolt of lightning just after take-off

The hull of the Costa Concordia, the cruise ship that has been lying sideways off the Italian coast since a deadly accident last year, is set to be righted next week, a government official said.

The vessel ran aground near the island of Giglio, in Tuscany, in an accident that made world-wide news.

The plan is to rotate the hull upright, so that it can be refloated and towed to the mainland for dismantling.

Officials hope to complete operations during the first half of next year.

"For us the first possible date for the rotation of the Costa Concordia is September 16," the head of Italy's civil protection agency, Franco Gabrielli, said during a visit to Giglio.

Weather conditions will determine when the operations will start exactly, Gabrielli said, adding that the decision will be taken with one day's notice.

The Concordia hit a reef and partly sunk on January 13, 2012, killing 32 of its 4,229 passengers.

Captain Francesco Schettino, who is accused of having steered the ship close to the shore to please a crew member, is being tried for manslaughter and other crimes.

- MCT

Ad Feedback
Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content