Three people have been hospitalised after inhaling fumes at Auckland International Airport this morning.
A St John spokesman said they had been onsite for the last two hours and treated 16 people.
The incident happened because of a "carpet cleaning incident" overnight, according to an airport spokesman.
"It resulted in a strong odour in the Customs processing area which resulted in them being closed down and set up in an alternative area," he said.
No passengers were affected by the toxic fumes, only Customs staff, he said. The international terminal reopened at 10.15am and four flights were delayed.
— Kurt Johnston (@warriorsballboy) March 4, 2014